Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Kick Ass Kale Chips


These spicy kale chips are a delightful change from potato chips.

Ingredients
1/2 bag of kale*
1/2 tsp. canola oil
pinch of salt
red pepper

Tools
flat baking sheet
strainer
salad spinner or dish towel

Take the kale and snap off some of the larger stems and veins.  Then wash the kale thoroughly and  either lay flat on a dish towel and pat it dry or use a salad spinner-a resourceful tool when it comes to kale-it's quick, easy, and reduces the wait time.

During the drying phase, pre-heat your oven to 325.

After the kale is dry, place is flat on a baking sheet.  Then drizzle in the canola oil, add a pinch of salt, and, because I really enjoy spicy chips, sprinkle a liberal amount of the red pepper.  Proceed to massage the oil and dry ingredients together. 

Bake the kale about 12-15 minutes.  This depends on two things: 1) How quickly your oven bakes and 2) How crispy you like your kale.  I'm a bear so, I like my kale extra crispy, so I usually bake it longer.

And, if you're feeling adventurous, shake some sesame seeds on top or sliced almonds for added protein.

*I'm partial to Trader Joe's pre-chopped kale, but if you're lucky enough to have a farmer's market nearby then, by all means, buy fresh kale.  A few weekends ago I stopped in at the Irvine Farmer's Market and purchased a beautiful bundle of purple kale for a couple dollars.

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to try this!! Fact! I love kale and chips. The combo is mind blowing. Stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete