Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Calzone Amore

Sometimes, but not very often, The Hungry Vegan Bear becomes restless with her pizza recipes.  This past weekend, for a bit of inspiration, I turned on some Dean Martin (yup, I went old, old school for this) and suddenly "That's Amore" motivated me to stop thinking about pizza and start thinking about calzone's, which was how Calzone Amore came about.
 
When I was a ski school instructor (pre-vegan days) I remember consuming a few calzone's at a local restaurant in Dillon, CO, but I was never really crazy for their calzone's.  There was too much cheese-hard to believe such a thing coming from a Wisconsinite.  And, now, as a vegan, I've tried several variations on the calzone and, again, too much vegan cheese.  Most vegan calzone's are too sticky, too bland, and too gummy.  These are calzone's not bears!

In my humble opinion, it's fun to play with Calzone recipes, so I created a meatless cheese calzone and a potato and jalapeno recipe granting some variety for my taste testers.

Tools
baking sheet
knife
cutting board
garlic press
bowl
spoon
cheese grater
gloves (might need them for the jalapeno)

If you have time, I suggest making your own pizza dough, but if you don't have time, no worries.  Once again, I used Trader Joe's pizza dough.
Calzone Sauce for the Meatless Calzone
This is the meatless cheese calzone fresh from the oven.
3 oz tomato paste
1/4 c water
1 tsp olive oil
3 lg garlic cloves
1 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp basil
dash of Cayenne pepper
2 dashes of hot sauce
1/4 crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese
12 minced lg black olives
1 tsp brown sugar (optional)

I created the sauce separate from the stuffing and once I had this prepared I mixed it with the stuffing.  I decided to keep them separate in the beginning, because I did not want to squash the living daylights out of the fresh veggies, because that would be vegetable abuse and that would just be wrong.
Meatless Calzone Stuffing
1/2 Roma tomato
2 mushrooms
1/2 handful of fresh spinach
1/2 c yellow onion
1/4 c vegan mozzarella cheese
1/4 c meatless meat crumbles

Add the sauce to the stuffing and mix together until the veggies and meatless meat is coated. 

Once the calzone's are cooking in the oven for about 6 minutes, slice about three holes in the top of the dough.

Creates 1 large and 4 medium size calzone's.
Cook at 450 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.


These potato calzone's were surprisingly light.

Potato and Jalapeno Calzone Stuffing
1/2 Roma tomato
1 lg Russet potato
1/4 c yellow onion
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh chives
1/2 jalapeno
salt to taste
black pepper
1 lg garlic clove
1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp vegan cream cheese

The potato was leftover from my potato salad on the 4th of July and it was already boiled and sitting in the refrigerator just waiting to be used.  I peeled the potato and then grated the potato into a glass bowl.  Then I chopped the tomato, onion, and jalapeno.  Once you have the stuffing fully prepped in the bowl, mix everything together until it blends together.

Again, cut about three holes in the top of the calzone's about 8 minutes into the cooking process.  The potato calzone's take a bit longer to cook, but are very much worth the extra effort. 
Creates 1 small and 1 medium sized calzone.
Cook at 450 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment