Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Summer Salsa That Sizzles

Heirloom tomatoes are my favorite-sweet, earthy, and bursting with flavor!
When it's just too hot to cook and you crave a cool boost, this summer salsa is great for outdoor cookouts and indoor lazy days. 
In Culver City today, the heat is climbing the charts, so I opted for a simple recipe and one that did not require turning on the oven nor stove.

Tools
cutting board
knife
gloves
garlic press

Salsa Ingredients
3 garlic cloves
1 3/4 limes
salt
black pepper
1 jalapeno
1 container of heirloom tomatoes
1 Roma tomato
1 sm red onion
1 large handful of fresh cilantro

I like to chop my tomatoes and onion first and then dice the jalapeno into bite sized pieces and mince the cilantro.  Don't forget to snap on a pair of gloves prior to liberating the seeds from the jalapeno.  The bunch that I picked up from Trader Joe's were quite strong this week (thankfully), so I didn't have to add more than one, but if you enjoy an extra spicy salsa, add a second jalapeno.  Finally, I add in the garlic, salt, pepper, and lime. 

This recipe takes about 10-15 minutes and serves about 4-6.  I suggest a nice summer brew to compliment the salsa...perhaps a blond or amber that's light and crisp.  (As a side note, I had a Sam Adams Octoberfest with the salsa-highly recommended.)

No comments:

Post a Comment