Friday, August 17, 2012

Oh My! Mac N' Cheese

Since it's getting close to the beginning of a new school year, for some folks, I thought it would be nice to visit the traditional recipe of mac and cheese and mix it up a bit by adding in a roasted green chili pepper.

Tools
cutting board
knife
2 quart sauce pan
plastic spoon

Oh My! Mac N' Cheese Ingredients
2 slices vegan cheese
1 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp soy milk
dash of salt
pepper to taste
1/2 green chili pepper
1/3 bag Trader Joe's fusilli rice pasta

The first order of business is to roast the green chili pepper, which can be accomplished in a couple different ways-oven roasting or throwing the pepper on the grill.   I had the chili's left over from grilling out the other day, so all I had to do was eliminate the stem and gut the seeds from the pepper. 

Next, I boiled the pasta and once the noodles were cooked, I set it to the side and used the same sauce pan to prep the cheese sauce.  Also, if you want the sauce to a bit more cheesy, add a third slice, but I like my mac and cheese a bit on the lighter side, so I only used two slices.  I began melting the cheese over a low heat with the margaine and milk (you don't have to use soy milk-any unsweetened milk alternative will do), gradually, adding in the flour as I continued to stir to avoid clumps.  Once the sauce was complete, I added in the pasta and mixed it until the noodles were covered completely.  Finally, I added the chopped chili pepper and salt and pepper.  If you're really feeling like having some fun, I suggest adding in some fresh cilantro, too!

This should serve about 2 people and takes just under a half hour to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment