Saturday, September 29, 2012

Gone Banana's...Bread, that is

This is part two in the series, Baking with The Hungry Vegan Bear.
What goes better with banana bread than a cup of coffee?

As the heat climbed up and up this morning, I found myself craving a cup and since my former flatmate, Linda, has left for the Santa Barbara region, and I now find myself as the sole coffee drinker in our flat, I was left to my own devices, which meant hiking over to Target to get a bag of Pete's.  As the coffee was brewing, I pulled out the maple syrup and coconut milk in preparation.  In my humble opinion, coffee is best with maple syrup especially when the other option is just boring sugar.  I mean, come on!  Pure 100% maple syrup is beyond addictive.  During the fall season I find myself adding it to my cup out of comfort and nostalgic for the days when I could see the changing colors of the trees at my grandparents cottage in the Midwest.  This yearning also lead me to the kitchen and my affection for my mom's banana bread, so this weekend I took a stab at making vegan banana bread.

Tools
bowl
fork
plastic spoon
bread pan

Ingredients for Goin' Banana's Banana Bread
2 bananas
2 c. flour (dealers choice of wheat, unbleached, etc.)
2 Tbsp ground flax seed (mix with 3 1/2 Tbsp of warm water to create an egg replacement)
1/2 c. canola oil
3/4 brown sugar
1/2 c. water
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. chopped almonds
dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

First, create the egg replacement and set to the side.  Next, mash the two brown banana's in a bowl with a fork.  Once the banana's are mashed properly, add in the dry ingredients and follow with the ground flax.  I do not own a hand mixer, so I folded all of the ingredients by hand.  Lastly, add in the chopped almonds and fold into the mix.

Make sure you use either margarine or a cooking spray on the bread pan prior to adding in the completed mixture.

This recipe makes one loaf of bread.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 or until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment