Saturday, June 2, 2012

Kookoo for Coconut Milk


In Culver City, on this muggy Saturday morning, my paws were itching to get up and go outside.  Often, this bear cannot contain her excitement to run into the wild and play.  The heavy air had my fur sweating in minutes.  

After scampering through the neighborhood, I anticipated a lot more rumblin’ going on in my tummy instead it gurgled, “eh, not so much.”  In lieu of the tofu scramble I had every intention of making, I settled for a bowl of puffed wheat with coconut milk followed by a bowl of strawberries. 

“Why coconut milk?” 

Well, I’ve tried soy, almond, and rice milk (Before I was vegan I drank the kind of milk that comes from an animal that goes, “MOO!”), but gradually I’ve learned to vary the milk I use, and in doing so, I also figured out what seems to fill me up for a longer period of time. Staying full and satisfied throughout the day is the most difficult thing for vegans, for this bear, the milk that helps satiate is coconut milk. 

Today I used the unsweetened coconut milk from Silk.  Normally, I have a sweet tooth, but over time I have eliminated using milk that has cane juice.  Granted, if I’m visiting with friends or family and they have the sweetened kind on the table I won’t say no, after all, I’m only a bear. 

The bonus of coconut milk: vitamins and minerals.  Yes, there is saturated fat, but it’s not like I stand by the refrigerator chugging from the carton.  Also, there is the nonstop discussion over coconut milk, is it good or bad?  My take on this is that coconut milk is like any other food that sits on the nutritional fence, eat in moderation.  The majority of the time my coconut milk consumption is during breakfast, which is a perfect time to have the vitamins, minerals, and a touch of fat to help push my furry bum out the door.

1 comment:

  1. I have tried, coconut milk, but prefer the
    light vanilla soy now and then. I do like
    your recipe spanakopita with a vegan twist.
    Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete