Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Summer Salad With A Perky Protein, Quinoa

The Hungry Vegan Bear thinks quinoa is keen!  Please excuse my fork in
this photo, but it's better than seeing me with my paws full of quinoa...
not so pretty on the fur.
Last weekend an ex-flatmate of mine swung by the great metropolis of Culver City for a visit, food, and softball.  It's true that The Hungry Vegan Bear does enjoy a good game of catch even though it takes a lot of work for her paws to fit into a softball glove.

Since we were burning a lot of energy (I'll admit it-mostly me running from the overthrown tosses.  She claimed it was accidental, but I think it was punishment for forgetting to invite her over for my Saucy Stroganoff.), she brought over a coconut to keep us hydrated and I decided that we should have some quinoa for protein lest we pass out at the park.  And, really, The Hungry Vegan Bear had absolutely no desire to spend time at a hospital for dehydration.


Tools
hammer
cutting board
knife
flatware knife
glass

Obviously, The Hungry Vegan Bear has a favorite hammer, but the knife was brought to my apartment via my old flatmate who knew better than to trust the plethora of knives in my apartment.

Use the large knife to shave off the top of the coconut.  Once you are at the shell, use the hammer and knife to crack open the exterior.  Next, pry open the shell with a flatware knife in a circular motion.

After our workout in the park, we decide that the grumbling in my stomach had to cease, so we began to cook dinner with, naturally, a beer or two and some fresh raspberries to tide us over until dinner was prepared.

Tools
knife
cutting board
plastic spoon
1 quart kitchen pot
glass bowl
garlic press
Veggie Ingredients
3 Roma tomatoes
3 Italian squash
1/2 sweet onion

Dice the tomatoes, squash, and onion and toss into a bowl.  Then begin preparation on the quinoa.

Quinoa is a very simple grain to cook.  We opted not to add any oil,  vegan margarine, or salt, but if you are working with quinoa you can improve the flavor as it cooks by adding in one of the above while it simmers.  Also, I like to add spices to quinoa while it is cooking, too.  Basically, I think a way to enhance the flavor of quinoa is to add spices while it is over the heat.  This grain is great for salads, side dishes, or, in our case, a main course.


Dressing Ingredients
3/4 c soy yogurt
1/2 avocado
3 minced basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
sage
thyme
Cayenne pepper
black pepper medley
rosemary
1/2 lemon

Add the soy yogurt into a bowl and then mash in the avocado until it is smooth.  Begin to add in the minced basil and pressed garlic.  I used a couple little fluffy balls of sage into the mix and followed this with a few dashes of thyme and several dashes of cayenne pepper, because, as I may have mentioned before, I love a wee bit of spice.  Next, add in the lemon and black pepper (use your judgement).  I had some fresh rosemary handy, so I plucked off some of the spikes from two twigs.  Again, it is not necessary to use fresh spices, however it does add a POW to the dish that dried spices just cannot accomplish.

Finally, add the quinoa to the veggie mixture and then pour the dressing over the top.  Mix the dressing, quinoa, and veggies until they are coated entirely.

This recipe will serve about 8 people.  Of course, if you were running after a few softballs it might feed less.   

No comments:

Post a Comment