Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Saucy Stroganoff

The Hungry Vegan Bear is not so hungry after finishing
off a plate of this Saucy Stroganoff.
This ain't your mamma's Stroganoff.

As a kid, when my mom used to make Beef Stroganoff I was pretty damn happy.  It was comfort food, warm, inviting, and filling.  And, I imagine, a quick and easy recipe for my mom, a working woman.

A few years ago when I was visiting my parents I made my own vegan Stroganoff.  The constant question from my mom and dad was, "how are you doing to make Beef Stroganoff without beef?"  I kind of laughed at that, because I've been cooking without meat of any kind for so long that it feels like it's old hat to me, but I think what really surprised them in the end was that it looked and smelled better than their normal Stroganoff.

Tools
cutting board
knife
plastic spoon
frying pan
1 quart kitchen pot


Ingredients
1/2 brown onion
1 red pepper
1 box Crimean mushrooms
2 stems of basil
Stroganoff mix prior to adding the vegan sour cream.
1 stem of rosemary
pinch of salt
2 dashes of turmeric
1/3 c vegan sour cream
noodles

I like to cook the onion, pepper, mushrooms and spices first.  I prefer my veggies a little crisp, so I tend to under cook on a lower setting rather than over cook on a high setting.

While the mixture cooks, bring your noodles to a boil.  This time around I chose a very colorful noodle.  It's up to you what type of noodle you prefer and I also have a habit of adding olive oil to my noodles.  If you're not a fan of adding oil then you can add a dash of salt or vegan margarine.

Once the veggies and spices are cooked, add in the vegan sour cream.

Drain the noodles and add the veggies on top.  Normally, this recipe would feed two, but if you're a Hungry Vegan Bear than it just might only serve one.

No comments:

Post a Comment